Sunday 2 August 2009

2/8/09: 5.5-6M (56 mins)

Harbour Bridge-Botanics & back

Today was my first run for about 10 days and last chance to get a decent distance under my belt before next week's City to Surf (14km including "Heartbreak Hill" which is apparently a killer).

I didn't get out of the door till early afternoon, by which time the temperature was up to the hot part of the day. I didn't feel like tackling the Neutral Bay hills I usually do, so decided to head out over the Harbour Bridge and then on to the Botanic Gardens, a route I'd done before and knew was both pretty, relatively flat and not too busy with other people.

I turned round at the 30 min mark, feeling okay although I really should have taken water with me as I was probably a bit dehydrated. Unfortunately by about 45 mins, the lack of training over the last few weeks started to make itself known and I could feel my left knee starting to twinge, followed a few minutes later by my right ankle - not good!

I kept on till the end of the Harbour Bridge (56 mins) and then decided to walk the final bit home, which is probably sensible in terms of cooling down anyway. Handily there's a water fountain just there, which was much needed!!

So, not feeling as prepared for next week as I'd like to be, but feel I've got enough in the tank to make it round in one piece, which is the main thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment